TSUJIRI was founded in 1860 by Riemon Tsuji, a tea master who was renowned for his spirit of “yuwa”- to continue innovation while sustaining tradition. his statue was erected in kyoto to honour his contributions to the japanese tea industry. one of tsuji’s major contributions - which is still used to this day - was the refinement of cultivating gyokuro, the highest grade of japanese green tea. he is also the inventor of the tea box which preserves the longevity and freshness of tea leaves during transportation. this innovation, created over a century ago, allowed fresh tea to become available among other japanese cities. in 2010, chaho (meaning tea shop) was first established outside of japan to carry on our founder’s spirit.